Tuesday, October 6, 2015

faith like hannah...

Sometimes the pain comes like contractions...
I'm brought to my knees like woman in travail.
I plead with God for deliverance.
Then He reminds me that this is only momentary...
{2 Corinthians 4:17}
soon the pain will give way to great joy...
the reward of the labor...
precious as a newborn child...
to be given back to my Lord...
as Hannah's beloved Samuel...
 
{1 Samuel 1-2:11}
 
Could I leave my little son "to minister to the Lord" and go back home?
{1 Samuel 2:11}
 
She had so longed for a child.
She poured out her soul before God. {1:15}
She only kept him 'til he was weaned...
that's not so very long...
but then what is time?
We aren't guaranteed any sure amount of it.
It's all in the Lord's most capable hands.
It's His to give as He sees fit.
 
What a testimony this woman has.
I can't quite wrap my mind around her beautiful song of thanksgiving...
 
{1 Samuel 2:1-10 (NASB)}
Then Hannah prayed and said,
            “My heart exults in the LORD;
            My horn is exalted in the LORD,
            My mouth speaks boldly against my enemies,
            Because I rejoice in Your salvation.
      “There is no one holy like the LORD,
            Indeed, there is no one besides You,
            Nor is there any rock like our God.
      “Boast no more so very proudly,
            Do not let arrogance come out of your mouth;
            For the LORD is a God of knowledge,
            And with Him actions are weighed.
      “The bows of the mighty are shattered,
            But the feeble gird on strength.
      “Those who were full hire themselves out for bread,
            But those who were hungry cease to hunger.
            Even the barren gives birth to seven,
            But she who has many children languishes.
      “The LORD kills and makes alive;
            He brings down to Sheol and raises up.
      “The LORD makes poor and rich;
            He brings low, He also exalts.
      “He raises the poor from the dust,
            He lifts the needy from the ash heap
            To make them sit with nobles,
            And inherit a seat of honor;
            For the pillars of the earth are the LORD’S,
            And He set the world on them.
      “He keeps the feet of His godly ones,
            But the wicked ones are silenced in darkness;
            For not by might shall a man prevail.
      “Those who contend with the LORD will be shattered;
            Against them He will thunder in the heavens,
            The LORD will judge the ends of the earth;
            And He will give strength to His king,
            And will exalt the horn of His anointed.”

Wow.
This O.T. saint knew her God.
She knew experientially that
e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g
belongs to God.
Even her well-beloved son.
She knew that there was no better place for her little one
than squarely within the Lord's will for him.
He had big plans for little Samuel.
What a lesson to be learned here...

{Deuteronomy 10:14 (NASB)}
"Behold, to the LORD your God belong heaven and the highest heavens,
 the earth and all that is in it."

...that's pretty inclusive...

...Just a little rabbit trail of thought
that my Lord led me down...
to comfort me.

<3

10 comments:

  1. So beautiful, Michelle!! Thanks for sharing these precious thoughts! Isn't God wonderful to show us things like this at the moments when we most need them?!
    <3 Still praying for you, dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle ~

    My older two daughters and I have read your blog for about a year, but none of us have ever commented. Your post is so beautiful and tender; I just wanted to share another little tidbit from this passage that I thought you would appreciate.

    According to 1 Samuel 7:15-17, when Samuel grew to be a man he lived in Ramah. Ramah was the town his parents lived in. (see 1 Samuel 1:19).

    Hannah gave Samuel to the Lord, and the Lord gave him back to her! You are so very right ... everything does belong to God. And He holds both the gift and the giver with compassion and gentle love. Giving really comes down to trust. Do we trust Him enough to give Him all that is most precious to us? Do we trust Him enough to fill the void left behind by what we give?

    You've written a very thoughtful post. One never outgrows the process of examining our hearts before God. I'm so sorry you are hurting, sweet girl. Because you are seeking solace in His presence, you will emerge this storm stronger in faith and even sweeter in spirit ... whatever the outcome.

    Praying for your peace of heart~
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a precious thought. I'd never noticed that before...thank you for sharing! You'll never know how very much this comment meant to me. Thanks so much & God's blessings on you. ^-^

      Delete
  3. I am much pained to watch you go through this deep travail,dear daughter, but am also so encouraged by the wonderful things God is teaching you through it. I am so gladdened by the way our precious Lord Jesus is holding you durring this trial, and how you are clinging to Him. Thank you for sharing all He is teaching you and blessing us with His precious lessons.<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. through my own challenge i've desired to walk in Christ in gracious fashion .. bringing glory to Him who has set me on this path for His reasons, for you get right down to it - it's all about Him. i see you walking in gracious fashion for Him - through your own trial.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, put your 2 cents in!